Your Instant Keys kit
Your Instant Keys kit contains everything you need to get your car set up for sharing. Installing the devices is simple and should take around one hour.
Your Instant Keys kit contains:
- A GPS device
- An extension cable
- A toll tag in a bag
- A lockbox and shackle
- A window bracket for the lockbox (if the lockbox will be kept on the car window)
Let's get started!
Put aside about an hour to work through the following steps to get your car set up.
Stick the holder to the windscreen near the rearview mirror, as shown in the photo below. Slide the toll tag into the holder.
If you already have your own toll tag in the car, please remove it and replace it with the one supplied. Don’t just leave it in the glovebox - some owners have been double-charged when both tags registered!
To pay you for the distance Borrowers drive, and help Borrowers find your vehicle, we use a GPS tracker.
It’s a plug-and-play device that goes in the diagnostic port of the car and is secured in place with cable ties. Your GPS tracker is a palm-sized black box with a port on one end.
You can install the tracker yourself following the instructions below, or get a mechanic to do it for you.
Installing the GPS
- Make sure the car is turned off
- Find your car's diagnostic port. The diagnostic port is normally located below the dashboard, between the steering wheel and pedals. To find the location for your make and model, try searching online, for example Google 'Toyota Corolla diagnostic port'.
- Plug the GPS into the diagnostic port. If it won't sit securely in the port, you can use the extension cable. You could also unclip the port from its plastic bracket – just push the port backwards and it should pop out.
This video shows how to plug a GPS tracker into a diagnostic port. In the video they use a splitter cable – you can just plug the tracker directly into the port, or use the extension cable in your kit.
Checking the GPS is working
- Turn on your vehicle. The device lights should begin flashing if it's inserted into the port correctly. If not, make sure the GPS is secure in the port and not wobbly.
- Confirm the unit is working by opening the Car Next Door app and going to Cars > Get location. It should show your car's current location on a map. It may take up to 30 minutes for the device to get verified after you have plugged it in so try again later if it doesn't work right now.
- Make sure the GPS is secure in the port - you can use something like cable ties, rubber bands, tape or hair ties if necessary to hold it in tight. Then hide the device (and the extension cable if using) behind a panel so it's not visible or in the way.
- Take a photo of the GPS and send it to us so we're aware of its location in case we need to troubleshoot it in future
Part 1: Place the lockbox
If you are hanging the lockbox on the vehicle:
- Wind the front passenger window down halfway and hook the window bracket over the edge
- Roll the window back up so the lockbox is held in place by the closed window
If you are leaving the lockbox on your property:
- Log in to the app and go to Cars > Profile > Lockbox
- Click 'Generate shackle code'
- Follow the instructions to open the shackle and install your lockbox
- Test that the lockbox wakes up (follow the instructions in the app)
- Update the 'Lockbox location' in your car's profile on the website with the lockbox's new location and give detailed instructions so borrowers won't have any trouble finding it.
Part 2: Put the key in the lockbox
- In the app, go to Cars > Open lockbox. Enter the lockbox code to open the lockbox.
- Remove any key rings or fobs from your spare key and place it in the lockbox. If you need to put a garage fob and the key in the lockbox, use rubber bands or hair ties to tie them together - don't use key rings as these can block the lockbox from closing and opening properly.
- Your lockbox may contain a grey key insert. If your key is too big to fit inside the insert, just remove the insert by pulling it out and put the key in the lockbox without the insert. Do not force the key inside the insert.
- Squeeze the lockbox shut until you hear the lock close. Check that the lockbox is shut.
If the lockbox doesn't respond when entering the code, it is likely in sleep mode and needs to be woken up. Insert a credit card-sized card (like your drivers licence or bank card) into the slot at the bottom of the lockbox. You should hear the lockbox beep. Try entering the code again.
Your Instant Keys kit contains several stickers:
- Large logo stickers for each side of your car (optional)
- Small logo stickers for your front and back windscreen (optional)
- 'Borrow my car' bumper sticker (optional)
- Welcome sticker (optional)
- No smoking stickers
- Fuel stickers
Applying these stickers is a great way to help your car get noticed, but you choose how many you want on your car. You might have all of them, or just the small windscreen stickers and bumper sticker, or you might prefer none.
It's important to make sure the surface is clean and dry before you apply any stickers. Watch this video for instructions on how to apply the stickers, and check the photos below to see where to place each sticker on your car.
Your kit also contains an optional welcome sticker. If you'd like to apply this sticker, write your name on it and stick on the inside of the windscreen in the top right corner.
No smoking stickers
These stickers remind borrowers not to smoke in your car. Place them on the inside of the driver and passenger windows.
These stickers remind borrowers what type of fuel to buy for your car. Place the circles on the dash near the fuel gauge and on the outside of the fuel door. Place the larger rectangular sticker on the inside of the fuel door.
We need photos that show your car's current condition so we can identify any new damage that may occur.
- Log in to the website (not app)
- Go to Cars > Manage this car > Edit profile > Condition log
- Upload or drag and drop the photo files you'd like to upload
- Click 'Submit photos'
While you're there, make sure you've completed all the sections of your car's profile including uploading at least one profile photo and leaving clear parking instructions.
If you've received a secondary GPS device, check the email you received when your kit was posted for instructions.
If you need any help with installing your kit, call us on (02) 8035 8000 so we can help you out.
Your car is all set up!
Reply to the email you received from Car Next Door to confirm that you’ve finished installing your car and you’re ready to start getting bookings. We'll make your car available for bookings so it can start earning you money ASAP!