Tax requirements for sharing a car that is owned by someone else or owned jointly

Short answer:

According to the ATO, the person or people who own or lease the asset, regardless of who is registered on the platform, reports the income in their tax return. If you have someone else’s car listed on Car Next Door in your name, you should make sure the owner of the car knows that they need to declare the income in their tax return.

Jointly owned cars

If you own an asset jointly with another person, you will need to declare your income and expenses in proportion to your share of the asset.

Novated leases

You cannot claim car expenses for an employee vehicle under a salary-sacrificed novated lease. However, you still need to declare the income you have received and may also claim non-car expenses such as membership fees.

Related articles

What income you need to declare in your tax return
What costs you can claim in your tax return (including depreciation)
How to apportion your expenses between personal and income-producing use
Can I claim a Car Next Door loss against my salary and other income? 

Was this article helpful?
2 out of 3 found this helpful



Article is closed for comments.