When you Borrow someone’s car in our community, you need to:
- photograph all surfaces and the interior of the car at the start and end of your trip; and
- upload those photos through the Car Next Door app or website, or email them to us, within 48 hours of the trip ending.
When damage is reported, we check the photos uploaded by recent borrowers. If your photos are present and complete, we can easily see that the damage was not caused during your trip. If your photos are missing or incomplete, you may be held responsible for the damage.
The requirement to take and upload photos is set out in:
- Capture a clear image of all sections of the Vehicle
- Be uploaded via the Car Next Door app or website within 48 hours of the end of the Booking Period in the original, unedited and in the highest resolution form available"
"If an Owner reports damage to their Vehicle and it is unclear who caused the damage, then the last Borrower who had possession of the Vehicle will be responsible for the damage, unless: they show that the damage happened before they took possession of the Vehicle, through photos taken when they took possession of the Vehicle, in which case this process will be repeated in respect of prior Bookings; or they show that the damage happened after they ceased to have possession of the Vehicle, through photos taken at the end of their Booking Period (and after they finished driving the Vehicle), in which case the Owner is responsible."
We remind Borrowers of their obligation in:
- The emails we send to you when you book a trip and 15 minutes before your trip starts
- The SMS texts we send you at the start and end of your trip
If you didn’t receive, read or notice these reminders, this does not affect your responsibility.