The car's Owner is responsible for keeping the car roadworthy and mechanically sound at all times. Borrowers should treat the car as if they were their own and report any potential roadworthiness issues immediately.
Information for owners
Keeping your car well maintained and roadworthy at all times is essential, and a requirement under the Owner Supplement. You should get your car serviced regularly and attend to any issues that arise as soon as possible. See our roadworthy checklist for more detail on keeping your car safe and mechanically sound.
If a borrower reports a mechanical issue with your car, we'll take your car offline and let you know so that you can get it checked out and fixed. Likewise, if you notice an issue please block out your car while you get it fixed and let us know. Please attend to these issues as soon as possible so we can get your car back online and available for borrowers.
If your car experiences a mechanical issue that you think might be due to the way a borrower has treated your car, please let us know. We'll ask you to provide a mechanic's assessment so that we can investigate further. To speed up the process, please provide:
- A mechanic's report including their diagnosis and opinion on the cause of the issue, the expected lifespan of the affected part, and a quote for the repairs
- Photos of the affected parts taken while the mechanic did the diagnosis
- A photo of your car's current odometer reading
- A copy of your car's service history, including any repairs done to mechanical or electrical components
- Any other information you believe may be relevant
Information for borrowers
If a car you have borrowed has a mechanical issue, please pull over and let us know as soon as possible. All Car Next Door cars are covered by 24/7 roadside assistance - here's how to call them.