Your car must be roadworthy when it first goes live on Car Next Door, and at all times it's available for Borrowers. It's your responsibility, and a requirement under the membership agreement, to make sure your car is always safe to drive.
You can use this checklist to help confirm your vehicle’s roadworthiness. (Note that if you are in NSW, these things will have been checked as part of your annual Roadworthy Check.)
This is our summary of the Vic Roads Roadworthiness Requirements – you can go to the “What does the Certificate of Roadworthiness inspection cover?” section of this webpage to download the full document. If you are not able to confirm that your car is roadworthy, you should contact a roadworthy tester.
- Wheels and Tyres: Wheels securely attached, Minimum tread depth of 1.5mm with no damage. (Here's a simple way to check tyre tread using a 20 cent coin).
- Steering & Suspension: Steering Free from wear or play. Suspension in working order
- Brakes: All brake components must function correctly, be securely mounted, appropriately located and free from visible wear, distortion or damage likely to cause failure, malfunction or uneven application.
- Seats and Seat Belts: All seats and backrests must be secure, structurally sound and free of jagged edges or protrusions which could be hazardous. Seat slides must be functional. Seat Belts must be present and comply with seat belt standards.
- Lamps, Signals, Reflectors etc.: All lamps (headlamps, stop lamps, front and rear position lamps, a number plate lamp if applicable, and blinkers) must work. Grab a friend or passer by and check that all of the lights work by having them stand outside the vehicle and watch while you turn then on.
- Exhaust & Emission Control: The exhaust system of the vehicle must not pass through the cabin or any passenger area and must be free of leaks. Mountings need to be secure.
- Windscreen & Windows: Modern Windscreens are laminated and should be replaced if it has any crack that penetrates more than one layer of glass. One or more bull’s eyes or star fractures over 16mm in diameter or one or more cracks over 150mm in length are allowable as long as they are not within the area wiped by the windscreen wipers and provided that they do not impair the driver’s vision to the extent that the vehicle cannot be driven safely. Side windows must not have damage that impairs the driver’s vision.
- Windscreen Wipers, Washers etc.: Must be secure, functional and not excessively worn.
- Body & Chassis: The structural components of your car must be sound and free from cracks, damage, faulty repairs or modifications, rust, deterioration, distortion or any other condition which could lead to structural failure of the vehicle or adversely affect the performance of safety related features. Effective wheel guards (mudguards) must be in place (they may include parts of the bodywork etc.).
- Engine & Driveline: All parts of the engine and driveline must be in safe working order and free of vibration.
- Other: All pedals must have an effective non slip surface. All driving controls must function properly, your speedometer needs to work, as do your rear vision mirrors & horn.
If a borrower reports a concern about your car's roadworthiness
Car Next Door does not inspect cars for roadworthiness. If a borrower reports a concern about your car's roadworthiness or safety then we will:
- make the car unavailable for bookings
- cancel any upcoming bookings
- contact you to let you know about the report
- wait for your confirmation that the car is roadworthy (which may include a copy of your car's service records and any records or receipts relating to your investigation and repair of the reported issue) before making it available for bookings again.
Interested in renting out your car? Get your car earning money for you now!
List your car on Car Next Door