There are lots of things we do to promote your car, and plenty of ways you can help spread the word too.
What we will do
- From time to time we run promotions where we give Borrowers free driving credit to take a trip – this is at our cost, and you'll still receive income as normal.
- On our basic Borrowers’ plan, there are no membership or application fees, so people can try it out risk-free.
- We put stickers on your car, so people can find it on the street and know it's available.
- We do a lot of media outreach to raise awareness of Car Next Door - check out our media coverage
- We run targeted online advertising campaigns for the areas where cars are listed (Google, Facebook, etc) and work to optimise our website for search so people looking to borrow cars find Car Next Door
What you can do
You can help promote your car by:
- Making sure your car's profile is as appealing as possible - use a clear photo that will really make your car stand out, add photos of the sides, boot space and interior and write a description that highlights your car's best features.
- Adding a profile photo of yourself - this helps build community and trust, and could also boost your earnings: our data shows that owners with a profile photo earn more than those without.
- Sending a thank you message to your Borrowers - after each trip, send the Borrower a message thanking them for borrowing your car and asking them to leave you a thumbs up review if they enjoyed it. Having good reviews will make your car more appealing to future Borrowers.
- Sharing your car's profile with friends and family, and local community Facebook groups or pages - you can get a link to your car's public profile by logging in to the website and going to Cars > Manage this car > Edit profile > Public profile
- Following us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and sharing your favourite posts with your friends and local community groups or pages
- Inviting people to join Car Next Door - For anyone who signs up and starts to use Car Next Door using your invite code, they will get credit to try us out and you will also be rewarded with credit.
- Telling people about neighbour-to-neighbour car sharing - word of mouth is one of the biggest ways we get new borrowers so the more people you tell about it the further the word will spread!
- Posting an ad on Gumtree
- Posting an ad on Facebook Marketplace
- Posting flyers on community noticeboards around your area (see below)
- Create personalised flyers for your car and distribute them around your neighbourhood - see below for instructions and an example
Creating a personalised flyer for your car
Below is an example of a flyer we've found to be effective (it looks scrappy but we've found flyers like this perform better than glossy marketing brochures).
To make and distribute a flyer:
- Print out a photo of your car
- Using a permanent marker or texta, write up a blurb. We recommend text like: 'Rent my car! I don't use my car much and it felt wasteful, so now I'm sharing it on Car Next Door. You can use it to get around cheaply and conveniently. To rent it go to www.carnextdoor.com.au and become a member - it's free to join!'.
- Add the details, including your hourly, daily, and distance rates, the street and suburb where your car is parked, and your first name.
- Make photocopies of the flyer - black and white is fine
- Drop them in letterboxes in the streets around you and put them up on noticeboards and places with lots of foot traffic, like around train stations in your area.
Interested in renting out your car? Get your car earning money for you now!
List your car on Car Next Door