You will benefit from Car Next Door’s marketing, media outreach and search engine optimisation activities. There are lots of things we do to promote your car, and plenty of ways you can help spread the word too.
What we will do
- We provide you with a personal invite code, so you can offer people $15 off their first booking at our expense
- We provide stickers for your car, so people can see it on the street and know it's available
- We do a lot of media outreach to raise awareness of Car Next Door - check out our media coverage
- We run targeted digital advertising campaigns for the areas where cars are listed (Google, Facebook, etc)
- We work to optimise our website for popular search terms so that people looking to rent cars in your area can find our website and your cars
- What we don't do is billboards, TV ads or other high-cost traditional advertising. Instead, we spend on targeted digital marketing, word-of-mouth referrals and building the best peer-to-peer car sharing platform in the world (in our humble opinion).
What you can do
- Making sure your car's profile is as appealing as possible - use a clear photo that will really make your car stand out, add photos of the sides, boot space and interior and write a short, clear description that highlights your car's best features.
- Adding a profile photo of yourself - this helps build community and trust, and could also boost your earnings: our data shows that owners with a profile photo earn more than those without.
- Sending a thank you message to your Borrowers - after each trip, send the Borrower a message thanking them for borrowing your car and asking them to leave you a thumbs up review if they enjoyed it. Having good reviews will make your car more appealing to future Borrowers.
- Sharing your car's profile with your personal and professional networks - friends and family, and local community Facebook groups or pages. You can get a link to your car's public profile by logging in to the website and going to Cars > Manage this car > Edit profile > Public profile
- Following us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and sharing your favourite posts with your friends and local community groups or pages
- Inviting people to join Car Next Door - For anyone who signs up and starts to use Car Next Door using your invite code, they will get credit to try us out and you will also be rewarded with credit.
- Telling people about neighbour-to-neighbour car sharing - word of mouth is one of the biggest ways we get new borrowers so the more people you tell about it the further the word will spread!
- Posting an ad on Gumtree
- Posting an ad on Facebook Marketplace
- Posting flyers on community noticeboards around your area (see below)
- Create personalised flyers for your car and distribute them around your neighbourhood - see below for instructions and an example
- Thinking about what type of people might want to use your cars and where they are hanging out. For example, if there's a noticeboard at your local supermarket you could post a note saying your car is available to help shoppers get their groceries home. If there's a local live music venue, let musicians know that your van could move their drum kit. Post-grad students at the local university might want your SUV to go road tripping. Get your creative thinking cap on!
Creating a personalised flyer for your car
- Print out a photo of your car
- Using a permanent marker or texta, write up a blurb. We recommend text like: 'Rent my car! I don't use my car much and it felt wasteful, so now I'm sharing it on Car Next Door. You can use it to get around cheaply and conveniently. To rent it go to www.carnextdoor.com.au and become a member - it's free to join!' (Adapt to suit your own situation).
- Add the details, including your hourly, daily, and distance rates, the street and suburb where your car is parked, and your first name.
- Make photocopies of the flyer - black and white is fine
- Drop them in letterboxes in the streets around you and put them up on noticeboards and places with lots of foot traffic, like around train stations in your area.
Interested in renting out your car? Get your car earning money for you now!
List your car on Car Next Door