Note: This information is only relevant to owners on our Instant Keys plan. Owners on our Key Handover plan need to keep their own insurance for when they and their friends or family are driving. If you are borrowing a car, see: Can other people drive a car I've booked?
Car owners on our Instant Keys plan can nominate up to five friends or family to be covered under the insurance when driving their car. You can edit this list at any time online - you just need to make sure to nominate them before they drive.
Anyone who drives your car must be added to your Additional Drivers list.
When you list your car with Car Next Door, you, up to five nominated ‘Additional Drivers’, and any other approved Car Next Door member can drive your car.
If any other person drives your car and causes damage, it will not be covered under our comprehensive insurance policy.
If you wish to have any other people driving your car (e.g. your spouse, partner, adult son or daughter, flatmate or friend), you will need to add them as ‘Additional Drivers’. It’s easy to do, but you must do it before they drive.
Who can you nominate?
To qualify, an Additional Driver must:
- hold a valid licence to drive (which may be a learner’s or provisional licence, noting however that a higher DCL will apply in respect of any Loss or Damage, as set out below);
- be nominated by you prior to driving the car;
- abide by the relevant terms and conditions of the Member Agreements when driving the car; and
- not be a Member of Car Next Door, unless the person is also a member of your household. (Someone you live with can be added to your Additional Drivers list whether or not they are a member of Car Next Door. Anyone else can only be nominated as an Additional Driver if they are not a member of Car Next Door.)
- not pay you for the use of the car. (If payment is involved it must be booked through the platform).
How to nominate Additional Drivers
To nominate Additional Drivers, or change your nomination at any time.
- Log in to the website and go to Cars > Manage car > Edit profile > Insurance
- Enter the names of the people you'd like to nominate as additional drivers
- Click 'Save'
Higher Damage Cover Liability for young, elderly or learner additional drivers
In the event of damage being caused by your Additional Driver, You are liable to pay an amount up to the following Damage Cover Liability (DCL):
|Additional Driver’s Age and licence type||DCL Amount|
|Driver of any age with a learner’s or provisional licence||$3,000|
|16-20 (any licence type)||$3,000|
|21-24 or over 75 (with unrestricted licence)||$2,000|
|25 to 75 (with unrestricted licence)||$500|
How your additional drivers can book and use your car
If one of your additional drivers would like to use your car, they'll need to ask you to block it out for them in your calendar. If they need to use the key that's in the lockbox, you can generate a lockbox code for them. Lockbox codes are valid for 4 hours. Make sure you remind your additional drivers to put the key back in the lockbox ready for the next borrower when they're done.
Interested in renting out your car? Get your car earning money for you now!
List your car on Car Next Door