To be a member of the Car Next Door car-sharing community, you must:
- be at least 18 years old (see below) and no more than 75 years old;
- not have had any licence suspensions or disqualifications, major traffic violations or alcohol/drug related driving incidents in the past 5 years;
- not have been convicted of, or have any pending convictions for, a criminal offence in any jurisdiction;
- hold a full unrestricted licence;
- have an appropriate credit or debit card with sufficient credit to cover your damage cover liability for the duration of time that you are borrowing a vehicle, as well as any card pre-authorisation; and
- have a satisfactory credit history (we'll do a credit check during your sign-up).
If you're aged between 18 and 20, you can join Car Next Door provided you hold a full licence (no provisional licences or P plates). If you're under 21 you will only be able to book a limited number of cars in the City of Sydney. Once you turn 21 you will have access to our full fleet of cars, vans and utes across Australia. This age restriction is due to our insurance requirements.
Not an Australian citizen?
You are still very welcome to join Car Next Door! See our information for international drivers.
P-plates or provisional licences
Our insurance only covers fully licensed drivers, so if you hold a provisional licence or are on your P plates (red or green) you won’t be able to use Car Next Door right now. Once you come off your P plates and hold a full licence you’ll be eligible to join and book cars.
Continuing eligibility depends on your driving record
If you are involved in a traffic incident or commit a traffic violation while you are a member of Car Next Door, you must tell either us about it or cancel your membership. In the event of an insurance claim, we will request a copy of your official driving record. If it turns out that you have not given us all of the relevant information about your driving history, you may not be covered by our insurance policy.