International drivers are very welcome to join! You will need to hold a full unrestricted driver licence from your home country, with a formal English translation if it is in another language.
You don't need an International Driving Permit (international licence) to join Car Next Door, provided the details on your international licence and the English translation are clear. We'll be in touch if we need any more information to process your application.
Tips for driving in Australia
When you're driving in Australia, remember:
- Drive on the left side of the road.
- Park on the left side of the road - you will get a fine if you park against the direction of traffic.
- Always check the parking signs carefully before you leave the car - you will be responsible if you leave the car in a place and it gets a fine (no matter how long after you leave it).
- Speed limits are strictly enforced in Australia. Some roads and streets don't have speed limit signs, but speed limits still apply. Slow down, drive safely and avoid heavy fines.
- If you are driving outside of the cities, kangaroos and other wildlife may be on the roads - avoid driving around dawn and dusk if possible, and drive carefully at all times.