If you are not a permanent resident or citizen of Australia, you're still very welcome to join!
You will need to hold a full unrestricted driver licence from your home country, with a formal English translation if it is in another language.
An international licence is acceptable but is not necessary.
Tips for driving in Australia
When you're driving in Australia, remember:
- Drive on the left side of the road.
- Park on the left side of the road - you will get a fine if you park against the direction of traffic.
- Always check the parking signs carefully before you leave the car - you will be responsible if you leave the car in a place and it gets a fine (no matter how long after you leave it).
- Speed limits are strictly enforced in Australia. Some roads and streets don't have speed limit signs, but speed limits still apply. Slow down, drive safely and avoid heavy fines.
- If you are driving outside of the cities, kangaroos and other wildlife may be on the roads - avoid driving around dawn and dusk if possible, and drive carefully at all times.