If you need to fill up during a trip, pay for fuel yourself and ask for a tax invoice. Upload a clear photo of the receipt through the app. This amount will be credited towards the final cost of your trip and any extra will be refunded.
You must return the car with at least 1/4 of a tank of fuel. If it is left with less, there is a fee applicable (see Inconvenience and admin fees.)
Electric vehicles must be left plugged in at the end of each trip.
Getting fuel instructions
Make sure you check what type of fuel the car takes before filling up. You'll find this information in your trip instructions in the app during your trip.
- Open the app and go to Trips
- Select your in-progress trip
- Tap 'Refuel'
- Read the instructions to see what kind of fuel the car takes
- Fill up and pay using your own money
- Ask for a tax invoice - make sure it details:
- type of fuel purchased
- how many litres you purchased
- how much you paid in total
- time and date of purchase
Submitting a receipt for reimbursement
- Tap 'Refuel' in the app
- Tap 'Add receipt'
- Tap 'Add photo' to take or upload a photo of the tax invoice - make sure the entire invoice is clear and readable in the photo
- Enter the total cost of the fuel and the number of litres purchased - you can see this information on the tax invoice
- Tap 'Upload receipt'
You can also upload the receipt after your trip through the app or website, but you must do so within 3 months of the date of purchase.
We'll credit the amount you spent on fuel towards the final cost for this trip. If you spent more on fuel than the final trip cost, we'll refund the balance to your Car Next Door account. It will then be refunded to your card within a few days, or you can withdraw it back to your credit or debit card anytime.
Always check if the car takes petrol or diesel before filling up!
Make sure you check the kind of fuel the owner has specified should go into the car. If the car takes unleaded petrol, the instructions will also specify whether you should use 91 (regular), or 95 or 98 (premium).
Put the wrong fuel in the car?
If you've put petrol in a diesel car or vice-versa, don't start the car. If you already have, stop driving and switch off the engine ASAP. Read these instructions for what to do next.
What about Electric Vehicles?
The same process applies to recharging an electric vehicle - if you paid to recharge, just submit your receipt for reimbursement via the app.