If you need to fill up during a trip, pay for fuel yourself and ask for a tax invoice. Upload a clear photo of the receipt through the app. This amount will be credited towards the final cost of your trip and any extra refunded.
Getting fuel instructions
Make sure you check what type of fuel the car takes before filling up. You'll find this information in your trip instructions in the app during your trip.
- Open the app and go to Trips
- Select your in progress trip
- Tap 'Refuel'
- Read the instructions to see what kind of fuel the car takes
- Fill up and pay using your own money
- Ask for a tax invoice - make sure it details the type of fuel, how many litres you bought, and how much you paid
Submitting a receipt for reimbursement
- Tap 'Refuel' in the app
- Tap 'Add receipt'
- Tap 'Add photo' to take or upload a photo of the tax invoice
- Enter the total cost of the fuel and the number of litres purchased - you can see this information on the tax invoice
- Tap 'Upload receipt'
You can also upload the receipt after your trip through the app or website.
We'll credit the amount you spent on fuel towards the final cost for this trip. If you spent more on fuel than the final trip cost, we'll refund the balance to your Car Next Door account. You can leave it there to use towards a future trip, or withdraw it back to your credit or debit card.
Always check if the car takes petrol or diesel before filling up!
Make sure you check the kind of fuel the owner has specified should go into the car. If the car takes unleaded petrol, the instructions will also specify whether you should use 91 (regular), or 95 or 98 (premium).
You should be able to find all types at most service stations, however if you can't find the exact fuel specified in the instructions it's okay to choose a fuel of a higher octane (for example use unleaded 95 instead of 91). Please don't choose a fuel of a lower octane, as this may damage the engine.
Put the wrong fuel in the car?
If you've filled up with the wrong kind of fuel, don't start the car. If you already have, stop driving and switch off the engine ASAP. Read these instructions for what to do next.