Your car doesn't need to be showroom clean all the time, but you do need to keep it reasonably clean and tidy. Consider how clean you would expect the car to be if you were borrowing it, and try to keep your car in that state ready for your Borrowers.
Borrowers are also responsible for bringing your car back in at least as clean a state as they borrowed it in: see What to do if a borrower leaves a mess
Keep your car nice
For many of us, keeping our car clean and tidy and free of clutter all the time takes practice. Some tips for keeping your car clean:
- Keep a bag or small bin in your car, and take any rubbish with you after each trip.
- Put a bottle of soapy water and a cloth in the boot, for quick and easy spot cleaning.
- Re-fill the windscreen wiper solution, and give the windscreen a quick clean with the squeegee when you refuel.
- Get a hand-vac for quick interior cleaning. If this is not feasible, make sure you have an extension cord for your home vacuum. If that doesn’t work either, find out where the nearest self-serve carwash is, and swing past regularly to do a quick vacuum.
- Log in and select 'Useful Contacts' in the top right menu to find a recommended cleaner offering discounted rates for Car Next Door members, if you'd rather delegate the job to a professional.
A number of mobile car cleaners and mechanics offer special discounts to Car Next Door members. Log in to the website and look under 'Useful Contacts' to find the details. Thanks to Fred the lockbox, you won't even need to be home when they come.
Fees apply if you leave your car dirty
Borrowers expect to find cars in a reasonably clean and tidy state. If a Borrower turns up to drive and finds that the car is unacceptably dirty, then you will incur a fee as set out in our Fee Schedule (and you’re likely to lose that Borrower’s custom!)
Don’t smoke in vehicles – even your own
Smoked-in vehicles smell really bad, and generate a lot of Borrower complaints. Please don’t smoke in yours (or let your passengers light up).
If you carry animals in your vehicle, let Borrowers know
If you carry animals in your car, please include that information in your Car Profile (some people are allergic). If you want to allow other members to carry their pets in the vehicle, then you can nominate it as ‘pet friendly’.