If you cancel or edit a booking, a 'cancelled time' or 'unused time' charge may be deducted from your refund. This is a charge that applies when you cancel/change all or part of your booking, so that some of the time you had originally booked now goes unused. This includes when you return a car early, cancel a booking, or edit the start or end times of your booking.
You can cancel or edit your booking for free up to 48 hours before your trip starts, or within 1 hour of making your booking. The full amount that you pre-paid for the trip will be refunded to your Car Next Door account.
If you cancel any portion of your trip after the free cancellation period, including starting your trip late or ending it early, that time is subject to the cancellation policy outlined below. The cancelled or unused time charge will be deducted from your amount that you pre-paid for the trip, and the remainder refunded to your Car Next Door account. You can leave it there to use towards your next trip, or withdraw it back to your card.
You will not be charged a cancellation fee for any time that is rebooked by another borrower – so it's better to cancel and try to recoup some of the cost than to simply not show up for your trip.
You will not be charged a cancellation fee for any time that is rebooked by another Borrower - so it's better to cancel and try to recoup some of the cost than to simply not show up for your trip.
|Time of cancellation||Fee|
|Less than 24 hours from trip start, or after trip has begun||100% of time reserved, up to 12 hours|
|24 to 48 hours from trip start||50% of time reserved, up to 4 hours|
|Over 48 hours from trip start, or within 1 hour of making the booking||No cancellation fee|
For example (changing the start time):
- you make a booking to start at 9.30am
- you later change the booking to start at 10.00am
- the 30 minutes from 9.30-10.00am is considered 'cancelled time' and will be charged
For example (returning it early):
- you make a booking from 9.00am to 10.00am for $6 an hour
- you return the car at 9.30am after being super efficient with your errands
- the first 30 minutes will be charged as $3 "trip time" and the 9.30-10.00am portion is considered 'cancelled time' and will be charged at $3
- you haven't paid more than the original $6 booking but since you returned the car early and changed the original booking times, you are subject to "cancelled time"
- it also provides you an opportunity to recoup the cancelled time if another member books the vehicle for the time that was unused by you
Why do I need to pay for time I didn't use the car?
These charges are in place to compensate the car's owner for the fact that your booking may have prevented others from booking the car at that time.
If another member books the car for some of your 'cancelled time', you will not be charged for that time. For example:
- You book a car from 1pm to 5pm (4 hours) but at the last minute you change your trip to go from 1pm to 2pm. You would normally be charged for the 3 hours of cancelled time.
- Someone else books it from 4pm to 5pm
- You'll only be charged for 2 hours of cancelled time, because someone else used one of the hours.
Don't be a no show! Cancel in advance
Cancelling the booking in advance gives you an opportunity to recoup money if another member books the vehicle, and means that you won’t be charged for the time that was subsequently used by another member.