As with any insurance policy, there are exclusions to your cover. It's important that you understand a few common-sense rules for using Car Next Door cars.
You will not be covered by insurance if you use a Car Next Door vehicle to:
- drive to the snow (on roads where a reasonable person would use snow chains)
- drive off-road or on an unsealed surface
- tow a trailer, caravan or other device (unless you are the owner of the car)
- drive interstate without permission from the owner of the car and Car Next Door
Driving for rideshare
You may not drive for Uber, other rideshare services or Uber Eats in a Car Next Door vehicle that you have borrowed.
You may drive your own vehicle for rideshare as well as listing it for rent on Car Next Door, however you will need to have separate insurance to cover any rideshare activity before you list it on Car Next Door.
Car Next Door's insurance will not cover you while you are driving for rideshare or Uber Eats.
Our comprehensive insurance doesn't include coverage for personal items in the car, for Owners or Borrowers. If your belongings are lost or damaged while in a Car Next Door car, unfortunately we won't be able to arrange replacement under our insurance policy.
We recommend Owners don't leave anything valuable in their cars, as personal items aren't covered by insurance. If you have contents insurance, you may be covered for items that go missing from your car under that policy. Some policies include coverage for items away from home, so contact your insurer to check.
You will not be covered by the insurance, and so may be liable for the full cost of any loss or damage, if you:
- Use a car to tow anything (unless you are the owner of the car)
- Drive off-road or on an unsealed road (unless you are the owner of the car)
- Drive through water, on the beach or in a snow area
- Drive out of the state in which you collected the car without the permission of the car owner and Car Next Door
- Drive when a warning light is illuminated or when the car is in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition
- Jump start the car, or use it to jump start another car
- Carry passengers for a fare, or pick up hitch-hikers
- Carry anything dangerous or illegal, or use the car in connection with any illegal activity
- Drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Drive while texting
- Use the vehicle in a reckless or dangerous way or contravene traffic regulations
- Carry more passengers or cargo than the vehicle is designed for
- Allow anyone to drive the car who is not a Car Next Door member, or who is a learner driver (unless you are the owner, in which case your nominated Additional drivers may drive)
- Damage the underbody or roof by driving over or under a fixed object, standing or sitting on the roof, fitting roofracks or carrying things that damage the roof
- Drive the car more than 24 hours after your booking has ended (unless you are the owner of the car)
- Leave the car unlocked or fail to secure the key in the Lockbox when returning the vehicle
- Put the wrong fuel in the vehicle (e.g. petrol in a diesel car)
Please note: this is a summary of the exclusions listed in the Member Agreement, for your convenience. If there is any difference between this summary and full terms set out in the Member Agreement, then the Member Agreement will prevail.