As with any insurance policy, there are exclusions to your cover. It's important that you understand a few common-sense rules for using Car Next Door cars.
You will not be covered by insurance if you use a Car Next Door car to:
- drive to the snow, on roads where a reasonable person would use snow chains**
- drive off-road or on an unsealed surface**
- tow a trailer, caravan or other device**
- carry passengers or property for hire, fare or reward
You will also not be covered for towing in the event that the car breaks down more than 500km from its home address, unless you have notified the owner and Car Next Door in advance and you have received given permission to go beyond 500km.
Other exclusions are detailed below
Driving for rideshare or courier services
You may not drive for Uber, other rideshare services or Uber Eats or other courier services in a Car Next Door car that you have borrowed.
You may drive your own car for rideshare or courier services as well as listing it for rent on Car Next Door. If you're on our Instant Keys Plus+ or legacy $60/month sharing plans, you'll need to have separate insurance to cover any rideshare or courier activity.
Car Next Door's insurance will not cover you if you carry passengers or property for hire, fare or reward.
You will not be covered by the insurance, and so may be liable for the full cost of any loss or damage, if you:
- Use the car to tow anything**
- Drive off-road or on an unsealed surface**
- Drive through water or on the beach
- Drive above the snow line during snow season, or in any place where a reasonable person would use snow chains**
- Drive for rideshare or courier services or competitive driving
- Drive with a warning light on or after becoming aware of a mechanical fault, or when the car is in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition
Drive the car more than 2 hours after your booking has ended**
Drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or refuse to submit to a test
Drive while using a device (e.g. texting)
Allow anyone to drive the car who is not an approved Car Next Door member
Drive, or allow others to drive, a manual car without having at least two years' manual driving experience
Pick up hitch-hikers
Carry more passengers or cargo than the car is designed for
Carry anything dangerous or illegal, or use the car in connection with any illegal activity
Use the car in a reckless or dangerous way or contravene traffic regulations
Damage the underbody or the roof of the car**
Leave the car unlocked or fail to secure the key in the Lockbox when returning the car
Put the wrong fuel in the car
Jump start the car, or use it to jump start another car
Commit fraud or fail to provide information that is relevant to an insurance claim
Flee the scene of an accident
**Owners on our Instant Keys Plus+ or Legacy sharing plans are covered for these activities
This is a summary of the exclusions listed in the Member Agreement, for your convenience. If there is any difference between this summary and full terms set out in the Member Agreement, then the Member Agreement will prevail.