As with any insurance policy, there are exclusions to your cover. It's important that you understand a few common-sense rules for using Car Next Door cars.
You will not be covered by insurance if you use a Car Next Door car to:
- drive to the snow, on roads where a reasonable person would use snow chains*
- drive off-road or on an unsealed surface*
- tow a trailer, caravan or other device*
- drive more than 500km from the car's home address without permission from the owner of the car and Car Next Door
- carry passengers or property for hire, fare or reward
Other exclusions are detailed below
Driving for rideshare or courier services
You may not drive for Uber, other rideshare services or Uber Eats or other courier services in a Car Next Door car that you have borrowed.
You may drive your own car for rideshare or courier services as well as listing it for rent on Car Next Door. If you're on our Instant Keys Plus+ or legacy $60/month sharing plans, you'll need to have separate insurance to cover any rideshare or courier activity.
Car Next Door's insurance will not cover you if you carry passengers or property for hire, fare or reward.
You will not be covered by the insurance, and so may be liable for the full cost of any loss or damage, if you:
- Use a car to tow anything*
- Drive off-road or on an unsealed road*
- Drive above the snow line (1250m altitude) during the snow season, or in any place where a reasonable person would use snow chains*
- Drive through water or on the beach
- Drive more than 500km from the car's home address without the permission of the car owner and Car Next Door
- Drive when a warning light is illuminated or when the car is in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition
- Jump start the car, or use it to jump start another car
- Carry passengers for a fare, or pick up hitch-hikers
- Carry anything dangerous or illegal, or use the car in connection with any illegal activity
- Drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Drive while texting
- Use the car in a reckless or dangerous way or contravene traffic regulations
- Carry more passengers or cargo than the car is designed for
- Allow anyone to drive the car who is not a Car Next Door member, or who is a learner driver (unless you are the owner and on our Instant Keys Plus+ or legacy $60/month sharing plan, in which case your nominated Additional drivers may drive)
- Damage the underbody or roof by driving over or under a fixed object, standing or sitting on the roof, fitting roof racks or carrying things that damage the roof*
- Drive the car more than 2 hours after your booking has ended*
- Leave the car unlocked or fail to secure the key in the Lockbox when returning the car
- Put the wrong fuel in the car (e.g. petrol in a diesel car)
- Commit fraud or fail to provide information that is relevant to an insurance claim
- Flee the scene of an accident
- Drive, or allow others to drive, a manual car without having at least two years' manual driving experience
* Owners on our Instant Keys Plus+ or legacy $60/month sharing plans are covered for these activities
This is a summary of the exclusions listed in the Member Agreement, for your convenience. If there is any difference between this summary and full terms set out in the Member Agreement, then the Member Agreement will prevail.