As with any insurance policy, there are exclusions to your cover. It's important that you understand a few common-sense rules for using Car Next Door cars.
You will not be covered by insurance if you use a Car Next Door car
- drive to the snow, on roads where a reasonable person would use snow chains (unless you are the owner of the car)
- drive off-road or on an unsealed surface (unless you are the owner of the car)
- tow a trailer, caravan or other device (unless you are the owner of the car)
- drive more than 500km from the car's home address without permission from the owner of the car and Car Next Door
- carry passengers or property for hire, fare or reward
Other exclusions are detailed below
Driving for rideshare or courier services
You may not drive for Uber, other rideshare services or Uber Eats or other courier services in a Car Next Door car that you have borrowed.
You may drive your own car for rideshare or courier services as well as listing it for rent on Car Next Door, however you will need to have separate insurance to cover any rideshare or courier activity before you list it on Car Next Door.
Car Next Door's insurance will not cover you if you carry passengers or property for hire, fare or reward.
You will not be covered by the insurance, and so may be liable for the full cost of any loss or damage, if you:
- Use a car to tow anything (unless you are the owner of the car)
- Drive off-road or on an unsealed road (unless you are the owner of the car)
- Drive above the snow line during the snow season, or in any place where a reasonable person would use snow chains (unless you are the owner of the car)
- Drive through water or on the beach
- Drive more than 500km from the car's home address without the permission of the car owner and Car Next Door
- Drive when a warning light is illuminated or when the car is in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition
- Jump start the car, or use it to jump start another car
- Carry passengers for a fare, or pick up hitch-hikers
- Carry anything dangerous or illegal, or use the car in connection with any illegal activity
- Drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Drive while texting
- Use the car in a reckless or dangerous way or contravene traffic regulations
- Carry more passengers or cargo than the car is designed for
- Allow anyone to drive the car who is not a Car Next Door member, or who is a learner driver (unless you are the owner, in which case your nominated Additional drivers may drive)
- Damage the underbody or roof by driving over or under a fixed object, standing or sitting on the roof, fitting roofracks or carrying things that damage the roof
- Drive the car more than 2 hours after your booking has ended (unless you are the owner of the car)
- Leave the car unlocked or fail to secure the key in the Lockbox when returning the car
- Put the wrong fuel in the car (e.g. petrol in a diesel car)
- Commit fraud or fail to provide information that is relevant to an insurance claim
- Flee the scene of an accident
This is a summary of the exclusions listed in the Member Agreement, for your convenience. If there is any difference between this summary and full terms set out in the Member Agreement, then the Member Agreement will prevail.